The Story of Jones and Jones
A young teacher, Amy Jones and her mechanically minded husband, Frank Jones, opened Jones Book Store in 1926, giving McAllen its first book and stationery store. Amy was known for her fine taste and artistic flair, which appealed to a clientele that was making its fortune from citrus, land and gas in the Rio Grande Valley. The bookstore soon became a fine gift shop.
After World War II, the office and stationery business separated from the gift business. Frank ran the office supply business and his wife handled the gift business, with the new name Jones and Jones. The gift store moved to a three-story building with room to add new ideas. The Jones’ son, Jim joined the form and brought the idea of a furniture and interior-decorating studio to the growing list of departments.
Amy thought employee-dining facilities should be included in the new building, bringing about another new department at Jones and Jones. A restaurant opened to the public and the employees, to offset operating costs. The Patio soon became an important meeting place in McAllen.
Ladies’ fashions were added to Jones and Jones in 1957
By the late 1960’s plans were again made for acquiring property to build a new and larger store. Jim’s son, Lan Jones and daughter Jill Jones joined the business in the 1970’s and in May 1976, a new 90,000 square-foot store opened in La Plaza Mall. The new store added men’s apparel, precious jewelry, ladies shoes, a gourmet shop, an Orlane spa and a beauty shop. The store operated successfully for more than 20 years.
The business came to a crossroad in June 1996. The May department store company, the operators of Foley’s offered the Joneses a deal they could not turn down because their property was the only way Foley’s could gain entrance to the mall.
The offer came when Jim had decided he was ready to spend more time enjoying his summer home in Ruidoso, New Mexico. By this time Jill had married a prominent physician and was busy raising a family in San Antonio, so they decided to sell-bad for McAllen but financially beneficial to the Joneses.
A new Jones and Jones came in April 1997, operated by Lan, continuing the family tradition. The new store is smaller and more personable. The store has more than 17,000 square feet in the convenient Uptown Shopping Center on North 10th Street. The store has quality, style and tradition, along with familiar faces from the mall store.
On February 6, 2013 Lan Jones sold Jones and Jones to Nellie Tijerina and Donna Hutchins, continuing the stores traditions in fine quality, style and excellent customer service. A few of our lines represented include St John, Basler, Sophia Cashmere, Baccarat, Christofle Silver, Michael Aram, Barboglio, Nest Candles, Scandia Home, Jose and Maria Barrera, Robert Talbott, Oxxford Clothes…… The store also includes a beautiful fur salon and fine jewelry department, Jones and Jones Jewels.